Our children need a language rich curriculum that provides them with the skills and knowledge they need to enter the next stage of their education successfully. This includes the physical learning environment.
- Learning and using new vocabulary
- Curriculum progression for vocabulary
- Language rich classroom environment to include dual coding
- A focus on reading to include daily reading to children
- Using Imagination – putting new vocabulary into authentic situations through pretend play, role play.
- Reading incentives across school
- Elements of discussion
- Teaching Spanish and language of the term
Our curriculum inspires and engages our learners, expands their vocabulary and captures their imagination.
- Dual coding, signs and symbols
- Long term plan for reading to include a wide variety of vocabulary
- Aspirational vocabulary in texts for each year groups story time
- Word mats in English lessons
- Stems sentences
- Key words and questions on display
- New vocabulary that builds on each lesson with definitions shared
- Opportunities for discussion – elements of discussion
- Age appropriate vocabulary modelled to the children
- BUSC - Boxing up success criteria
- Spag lessons
- Subject displays